Click here to view and adopt a family online!
How does Birthday Gift For Christ work?
- Prayerfully consider adopting a MadCAAP or Trinity Mission family, individual children from a family, an Angel Tree child or a Methodist Children’s Home child.
- Look over the listed needs of the child(ren).
- Contact the family (MadCAAP only) – review sizes and requests made by children.
- Confirm address and delivery date/time with the adopted MadCAAP or Angel Tree family. If you will be unable to deliver, please notify a BGFC coordinator.
- St. Matthew’s will provide each MadCAAP and Trinity Mission family with a food box. Each child will be provided underwear, socks, and sweatshirt.
- Up to 2 bicycles per family are available if requested. Bicycle request forms should be completed and submitted to a BGFC coordinator by Sunday, December 4th. Bicycle helmets and locks should be included with your bicycles for safety.
- Provide each child with an age appropriate Bible and include a note of hope.
- Shop for the children(s) items, wrap and tag each item with child’s first name and family number only.
- Bring items to church on or before Wrap Night, Wednesday, Dec. 14th.
- Deliver toys, food box, and other items to MadCAAP and Angel Tree families between the hours of 9 a.m. and noon on Saturday, Dec. 17th.
- You may make donations for your MadCAAP family to have utility vouchers or uniform vouchers by contacting MadCAAP directly. NO gifts cards please.
- Methodist Children’s Home requests that their children’s boxes be ready by November 29th. We do not deliver directly to these children.
- Trinity Mission delivery will be on Friday, December 16th. Have all items in those boxes by then.
- Donations of gently worn jeans and coats should be delivered to the MadCAAP clothes closet.
- Toys are available on Wrap Night from those donated during St. Nick Sunday. Please use these toys. However, do not solely rely on those donations to fulfill all your family's needs.
- Limit interactions with families post delivery. Further family needs should be directed to the appropriate agency (e.g. MadCAAP, Trinity Mission).
- Questions: contact Theresa Hobdy 501-605-7226 or Natalie Smith 601-672-0067
Key Dates for #birthdaygift
St. Nick Sunday - Sunday, November 27, 2016
Wrap Night - Wednesday, December 14, 2016
Delivery Day - Saturday, December 17, 2016
Birthday Gift for Christ (BGFC) has been the signature local mission for St. Matthew’s since we started it at our previous location – Wesley United Methodist Church in Jackson.
Each year we provide Christmas gifts for 75-80 families, who would otherwise experience Christmas without the joy of giving or receiving. BGFC is a self-sustaining ministry of our church supported by financial gifts and volunteers.
How We Get Our List of Families
We receive the majority of our family referrals through a partnership with Madison Countians Allied Against Poverty (MadCAAP) in Canton. The rest of our families are referred to us through Trinity Mission Center in Forest.
What Each Family Receives
- A box of food and a Bible
- Other personal items as needed
How Our Church Family Helps
Our church mission is to reach out and share the life-changing love and grace of Jesus with everyone around us. This mission is just one way we do this. We invite our members and anyone else interested to help with providing toys, clothing and other requests from the families.
St. Nick Sunday
Many of our contributions come through our kickoff event – St. Nick Sunday.
On this special day of worship and sharing, our membership and visitors are invited to bring unwrapped toys, clothing and games for kids of all ages to meet the needs of our BGFC families.
Several Sunday School classes and individuals adopt families on our list to make Christmas extra special for them.
Wrap Night & Delivery Day
Not only does this ministry bless the families who receive the gifts and food, our entire church family serves together in celebration at an annual Wrap Night. We gather as a group and sort, wrap and fellowship in the name of Christ. On Delivery Day, we gather as a church family once more for a pancake breakfast and reach out to our adopted families.
Want to Help?
Join us this year as we continue to offer the love of Christ through BGFC. We challenge you to volunteer to wrap, deliver gifts or to sponsor a family. For more information, please contact Lead Pastor, Andy Stoddard, by phone at 601-856-9581 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.