What is United Methodist Women?
The General Conference of the United Methodist Church has declared that “In every local church, there shall be an organized unit of United Methodist Women.”
PURPOSE OF UNITED METHODIST WOMEN
United Methodist Women is a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
Our PURPOSE helps us to know who we are, whose we are and for what purpose we have organized. We participate in God’s mission in all areas of life. The four mission emphases reflected in the PURPOSE are: Spiritual Growth, Social Action, Education and Interpretation, and Membership Nurture and Outreach. This community of women is:
- Centered in relationship with God through Jesus Christ
- Focused on ministries with women, children and youth
- Involved in mission locally and globally
- Committed to inclusiveness
- Pledged to provide financial support for mission through Mission Giving
St. Matthew’s United Methodist Women Semi-Circle meets on the first Tuesday of the month in the Parlor at 6:30 p.m.
Each circle leader may select a structure that best meets their needs. They each focus on ministries inside and outside St. Matthew’s.
Some of the many ministries include:
- Prayer Quilts made for members or family members
- Mission studies presented by the United Methodist Conference
- Participating in UMW Sunday
- Easter Lily sale
- Poinsettia sale
- Choir Brunch for the Christmas Cantata
- World Thank Offering
- Senior Scholarship
- Giving to Missions within our church
- Giving to Missions outside our church
In return for our commitment of time, energy and effort, we develop a deeper understanding of mission, grow spiritually and are sustained by the knowledge that we are making a difference in the lives of men, women, children and youth not only in our church but around the world.