How does Birthday Gift For Christ work?
- Prayerfully consider adopting a MadCAAP or Trinity Mission family, individual children from a family, an Angel Tree child or a Methodist Children’s Home child.
- Look over the listed needs of the child(ren) and parent(s).
- Contact the family (MadCAAP only) – review sizes and requests made by children and parent(s).
- Confirm address and delivery date/time with the adopted MadCAAP family. If you will be unable to deliver, please notify a BGFC coordinator.
- St. Matthew’s will provide each MadCAAP and Trinity Mission family with a food box. Each child will be provided underwear, socks, and sweatshirt.
- Participate in St. Nick Sunday by bringing food items as requested through the St. Matthew’s newsletter. Select other items from the ornaments on Christmas trees in the Narthex or Hart Hall. These items are used to fill the food boxes given to each family.
- Bicycles are available if requested. Bicycle request forms should be completed and submitted to a BGFC coordinator by Sunday, December 3rd. Bicycle helmets and locks should be included with your bicycles for safety.
- If you desire, provide each child with an age appropriate Bible and include a note of hope
- Shop for the children(s) and parent(s) items, wrap and tag each item with first name and family number only.
- Bring items to church on or before Wrap Night, Wednesday, Dec. 11.
- Deliver toys, food box, and other items to MadCAAP and Angel Tree families between the hours of 9 a.m. and noon on Saturday, Dec. 14.
- Methodist Children’s Home requests that their children’s boxes be ready by early December. We do not deliver directly to these children.
- Trinity Mission delivery day will be announced soon.
- You may make donations for your MadCAAP family to have utility vouchers or uniform vouchers by contacting MadCAAP directly. NO gifts cards please.
- Donations of gently worn jeans and coats should be delivered to the MadCAAP clothes closet.
- Limit interactions with families post delivery. Further family needs should be directed to the appropriate agency (e.g. MadCAAP, Trinity Mission).
- Questions: contact Theresa Hobdy 501-605-7226 or Natalie Smith 601-672-0067
Key Dates for #birthdaygift
Start Adoptions - Sunday, November 10, 2019
St. Nick Sunday - Sunday, December 1, 2019
Wrap Night - Wednesday, December 11, 2019
Delivery Day - Saturday, December 14, 2019
Trinity Delivery Day - TBD
Birthday Gift for Christ (BGFC) has been the signature local mission for St. Matthew’s since we started it at our previous location – Wesley United Methodist Church in Jackson.
Each year we provide Christmas gifts for 75-80 families, who would otherwise experience Christmas without the joy of giving or receiving. BGFC is a self-sustaining ministry of our church supported by financial gifts and volunteers.
How We Get Our List of Families
We receive the majority of our family referrals through a partnership with Madison Countians Allied Against Poverty (MadCAAP) in Canton. The rest of our families are referred to us through Trinity Mission Center in Forest.
What Each Family Receives
- A box of food and a Bible
- Other personal items as needed
How Our Church Family Helps
Our church mission is to reach out and share the life-changing love and grace of Jesus with everyone around us. This mission is just one way we do this. We invite our members and anyone else interested to help with providing toys, clothing and other requests from the families.
St. Nick Sunday
Many of our contributions come through our kickoff event – St. Nick Sunday. This year for St. Nick Sunday we are asking for food donations that will be given to each of our families. Pick up a green bag at the church and you can return this bag filled with the food requested.
Several Sunday School classes and individuals adopt families on our list to make Christmas extra special for them.
Wrap Night & Delivery Day
Not only does this ministry bless the families who receive the gifts and food, our entire church family serves together in celebration at an annual Wrap Night. We gather as a group and sort, wrap and fellowship in the name of Christ. On Delivery Day, we gather as a church family once more for a pancake breakfast and reach out to our adopted families.
Want to Help?
Join us this year as we continue to offer the love of Christ through BGFC. We challenge you to volunteer to wrap, deliver gifts or to sponsor a family. For more information, please contact Lead Pastor, Andy Stoddard, by phone at 601-856-9581 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.